Thursday, January 28, 2021

Needing more bases... so created 192 bases, 45 minutes, 0.19 cents each.

 Hi,

From past Sunday, my 3 Prussian Landwehr batalions move forward gently.
However, I had not enough bases, between FR old guard, Uhlans, and Lanwehr to come... 4 bases were a little bit short.


So, yesterday evening I created some.
What follows is really basic, and I believe the way I did is nothing new under the sky, but in case it may help someone, I share it.

This is an inexpensive (but clean) way I use since I started wargaming.
For me it works really great

Those 192 bases were done in about 45 minutes.
Each 1.5x1.5 base cost me 0.1953 € cents. (to be precise)

Here is the thing.

Buy a cardboard based folder such as this one (~1.5 €) :


Then cut one fold and remove the plastic and paper cover on each side of the half folder you use. (so you use 0.75 € material so far - stock remaining parts)

Just do a soft incision on the top of one side, all along, then the thing will come smoothly as you peel it off.

Then print a pattern for the bases you wish.

For anything graphical I use InkScape (Open Source Software).With such tool, creating such matrix is a matter of minute, millimeter sized and perfectly adjusted.

You cut the paper matrix to remove margins, then glue it to the card board.
Once dry enough you cut the matrix at exact size (roughly 1/2 of the fold - "landscape" mode). So you use half of the material (0.375 €) and keep the remaining for later use, so not wasting anything.

Then you return your prepared matrix and paint some basing basic color with basic acrylics.


Let it dry for about 10 minutes with some heavy book on it (not on the painted side).

Then return and pre-cut your bases following the matrix lines.


So, one will think ... here you will spend hours...
In fact, no.
Take a steel ruler, use it to guide the blade to do a partial cut on the lines. Horizontally and vertically. Take care and do it slowly, not too strong but a bit, for three reasons :

  • You do not want to cut your bases yet, just create the blade path doing so later on
  • You do not want to waste any of the 192 bases you plan to produce
  • Eventually, remember you only have ten fingers. ;-)

On my side two passes per line, not too strong are enough.

Then you do not need the ruler anymore. From the marking you did, the blade will cut smoothly without getting out of it. Also, remember you only have ten fingers, so do it slowly and quietly, take care.

Start cutting strips, then take each strip and cut (detach?) the bases.

So, after about 20 minutes, here you are :


Your bases should be exactly the same size, will have one side pre-painted, one side with a white label... and they costed only 0.001953 €, so 0.1953 cents each.

Now, I have another issue.

I have too much bases for my minis... ;-)

2 comments: