Saturday, January 30, 2021

Nap flags - 6mm to 15 mm - A tribute to Mr. Pendlebury

 Hi,

Before getting back to my Prussians, I though it was time for a tribute.
About 25+ years ago I discovered a site that you may know, with a huge work about flags of the Napoleonic area.
From that time, I always use it as a major reference for flags.
This site is napflags, kindly hosted by www.warflag.com since end 2001.
Here is a direct link to the napflags index :

napflags by Mr. Alan Pendlebury

Resized and printed, here is what it gives at 6mm scale :

This is a sample of mounted flags. Left to right are some French (1812 and 1804 patterns), Austrian, Prussians, English and Brunswick flags.

The site contains a quite exhaustive listing for any nation of that time, their flags and also historical information.

Flags have to be resized. For this I use Inkscape, a powerful open-source vector drawing tool. I paste the flags picture in it, create a semi transparent colored box at the exact size I wish (ie. 9x9 mm) and put it at the foreground, then resize the flags bitmap in the background to match this size matrix, as such :


 

This way I create a full page of flags, as such :


Then I print on inkjet paper of good quality (labeled as "photo" quality, but light paper - should be less than, or around, 80g/m2 - low cost but good material), label the regiments when it has to, and cut flags strips :


Here is part of my flags, with mostly French and Prussian flags.

I also use this tool and napflags to label my packing boxes, labels, counters, etc... as such :
 



 

That's how I proceed for my flags, and that would not have been possible without the huge work done by Mr Pendlebury, as well as his will to share it freely.

So I just wanted to say thanks to him, wherever he is, and share with everyone it could help and would not be aware of this exceptional resource.

Thanks Mr. Pendlebury.


No comments:

Post a Comment